Monday, November 16, 2009

Horatio Caine Has Invaded My Brain.


As I sit here with my beautiful rugrat Lucy by my side, I ponder the important things in life, like: "What will her first word be?", "How will I afford a college fund for her," and "When will she fall asleep so I can catch up on the crazy CSI trilogy that's been connecting the three different CSI units in Miami, Vegas and NY?"

And then, I feel a twinge of guilt, knowing that I--someone who is well versed in the importance of object relations and attachment theory--would stoop to prioritize CSI On Demand over her daughter.

But, there's gotta be a time in the day when, between work, school, exercise, cooking, cleaning, husband, friends...a woman can say, without hesitation: "I've spent the last two weeks up late with my child, lovingly feeding, changing, burping and bonding with her. If CSI happens to be on during these late-night moments of mother and child connection, so be it. And if I need to see what happens because it's been "To Be Continued" for three weeks, then SO BE IT. Yes, maybe the writing isn't fantastic with this three part episode series, but come ON. Seeing Fishburne, Caruso and Sinise on the same screen for even an instant makes me get a strange thrill of satisfaction that can only come from knowing you've invested time not in life and loved ones, but in a 24 inch box that glows."

Afterall, can't I be a "good enough" mother (ala the wonderful Winnicott) while crushing on Jorja Fox a little?

TODAY'S ROXY SHOCKS RX: Watch CSI (Vegas, the OG) on Spike, USA or any other channel that airs it ad nauseum. If you really want to enjoy the series, you gotsa see the Grissom/Sidle romance that was always worth watching.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks mama! And thanks for joining me! (I can post here more freely than on fb.)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always take time out for me, I at least give myself an hour of ME time (which cannot include showering) every day. I healthy mom makes for a healthy baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. csi es lo mejor que hay en paraguay no me pierdo ningun epesodio es lo mejor ademas horatioes muy guapo lo adoro

    ReplyDelete